Using the power and reach of its modern media resource, the ABS-CBN Foundation brings television into the classroom to bring the Filipino child to the 21st century with dignity, values, and pride in his heritage.
MILESTONES AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Its programs, Sine'skwela, Bayani, Hirayamanawari, and Math-Tinik were made mandatory by the Department of Education, Culture and Sports in all public elementary schools nationwide. A first in the history of Philippine television!
- All shows are accompanied by the exclusive Parent-Teacher Manuals so that parents and teachers can now use televsion in the upbringing of their children. The manuals are distributed free of charge.
- Introduction of ETV VHS Tapes in the market. A compilation of the best episodes in 52 volumes sold at cost to public schools. Retail outlets are SM Toy Kingdom, National Bookstores and Goodwill Bookstores.
- A total of P30,000,000 was raised in support of ETV. Translates to 4,622 television monitors delivered to public schools in 16 provinces and 52 cities.
- P25 million pledged by Metro Manila mayors alone to purchase TV monitors for public schools in their respective localities.
- Formation of the Operations and Logistics Department to ensure efficient turn-over of television monitors and delivery of Parent-Teacher manuals in 16 provinces and 52 cities.
- Staging of the first convemtion of Principals where 750 principals from Metro Manila pledged support to the ETV program of the ABS-CBN Foundation.
- University of the Philippines Institute of Science and Math Education Director Milagros Ibe reports her findings on four studies made on Sine'skwela, Hirayamanawari and Bayani:
- Sine'skwela enhances elementary school science teaching and learning.
- Pupils watching Sine'skwela generally scored higher in exams than those who were not exposed to Sine'skwela.
- The study suggests that exposure to Sine'skwela enhances pupil's ability to understand written language.
- The positive effects of Sine'skwela noted in mid-year evaluation are sustained in the year-end evaluation.
- Sine'skwela continues to effect better learning in science by pupils who were exposed to the program.
- The year end evaluation confirms that pupils exposed to Sine'skwela are better at using process skills like:
- The episodes in Hirayamanawari and Bayani present many varied opportunities for teaching values. The pupils liked the episodes.
- Students' interest is heightened when the episodes are made the subject of assignments given by the teachers.
- The classes were highly animated when the lesson was on Hirayamanawari and Bayani.
- The children appeared very interested in the lessons and they appeared confident.